IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL HEAR ABOUT:
- How to tune into the cause of your low moods.
- How to promote the release of endorphins and feel-good hormones and neurotransmitters through exercise.
- How to decrease your body’s release of cortisol (a stress hormone) in order to boost your serotonin.
- Learn about “decision-fatigue”, how it affects your mood and how to give your brain a break.
- How specific nutrient deficiencies can lead to depression and low mood (and how to fix this).
- How to stabilize your blood sugar to avoid getting “hangry”.
- Why and how to create more time in the morning for self-care.
- How smiling activates neural networks and mirror neurons that will boost your mood and the mood of those around you.
- How to build a tribe of supportive people that lift you up!
- Why gratitude is so important and how to let go of a bad mood.
- How to stay positive on a day-to-day basis by leveling up your mindset.
Share this Podcast
8 Practices to Boost your Mood Naturally – Without Medication or Supplements!
- Move your body
- Get outside in nature
- Balance your blood sugar and provide fuel for your mind
- Give yourself more time in the mornings
- Smile, even if you don’t feel like it!
- Get social and find your tribe
- Practice shifting to gratitude and letting it go
- Level up your mindset with daily inspiration
Research mentioned during this episode:
Studies that document the effects of exercise on improving mood:
- Exercise builds brain health: key roles of growth factor cascades and inflammation
- Exercise and Pharmacotherapy in the Treatment of Major Depressive Disorder
- The Efficacy of Exercise as a Long-term Antidepressant in Elderly Subjects: A Randomized, Controlled Trial
Studies that demonstrate the effects of nature on boosting your mood:
- Influence of Forest Therapy on Cardiovascular Relaxation in Young Adults
- The influence of urban green environments on stress relief measures: A field experiment
- Stress recovery during exposure to natural and urban environments
- The benefits of nature experience: Improved affect and cognition
- Nature experience reduces rumination and subgenual prefrontal cortex activation
Additional Inspiration mentioned during this episode:
Brene Brown – The Gifts of Imperfection
Jen Sincero – You are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
Jack Canfield – The Success Principles
About Dr. Kimberley O’Brien:
Hi! I’m Dr. Kimberley O’Brien. As a naturopathic doctor I help you to transform your health and boost your energy with nutrition, natural medicine and neuroscience! I live and practice in beautiful Nelson, British Columbia, where my focus is to help people overcome digestive concerns, fatigue and hormone imbalances by teaching them to identify and treat the root cause of their symptoms.
In addition to my practice I am a professional speaker and I also serve as the naturopathic doctor at Mountain Trek, an internationally acclaimed and award-winning health and fitness retreat in Ainsworth, BC.
As the creator of the Healthy Life Redesign blog and podcast, as well as my online program called the Elimination Diet Meal Plan, I’ve helped thousands of people worldwide to resolve chronic symptoms like headaches, bloating, fatigue, IBS and eczema by identifying their food sensitivities and refueling their bodies with deliciously nutritious meals.
A healthy body provides us with the energy to live an adventurous life and the ability to do all of the things we love, which is why taking prioritizing my own health and fitness is so important to me! Outside of my naturopathic practice you’ll find me exploring the outdoors, gardening, travelling and taking in all of the beauty and adventures that the breathtaking Kootenay region of British Columbia has to offer! Follow me on Facebook and Instagram to join me on my adventures and make sure to subscribe to the Healthy Life Redesign Podcast so you don’t miss a beat!